ECO Canada - Environmental Careers Organization
Become an EP
EP Member Roster
Post a job
Free HR Resources
Green High Schools
ECO JOB BOARD
Return to search results
Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary
Position: permanent full time, beginning October 1, 2012
Salary Range: $55,000 to $62,500
The Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary (SLCHNS) is a leader in the stewardship of functioning and diverse ecosystems and an urban refuge that provides opportunities to bring people and nature together. We provide a diverse and enriching experience with a focus on natural history, education and ecological restoration to inspire personal action in stewardship activities. We achieve this by:
• Fostering an understanding and appreciation of nature through direct experiences;
• Demonstrating responsible stewardship of our lands and ecosystems through sound ecological restoration and conservation;
• Providing education that encourages personal responsibility for the care and protection of the natural environment; and,
• Developing and fostering community partnerships and providing rewarding opportunities for our staff and volunteers.
The Executive Director is responsible for:
• the successful leadership and management of SLCHNS according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors.
• ensuring the Board has current and adequate information for good decision-making, and that decisions are carried out in a timely and appropriate manner;
• ensuring that the direction from the Board is carried out in a timely and appropriate manner;
• ensuring that adequate and appropriate office procedures are in place and being implemented for efficient and effective administration of the SLCHNS;
• ensuring that adequate funds are raised, in a timely manner, to cover annual program priorities and operational needs and to develop a healthy operating contingency; and
• developing a positive team spirit among the SLCHNS’s staff and Board of Directors and supporting staff and the board in carrying out their roles and responsibilities.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Details on duties and responsibilities can be found at
after August 8, 2012.
Requirements for the Position
• 5 or more years of progressive management experience in a not-for-profit organization;
• Post-secondary education or combination of education and experience in a related field.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
• A demonstrated understanding of and interest in the SLCHNS’s purpose and goals
• Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the vision of the SLCHNS
• Proven ability to set and execute goals and strategic plans
• Ability to develop innovative and unique ways to improve operations and to create new opportunities
• Program management experience, preferably within a non profit
• Strong financial management, administrative management and budgeting skills
• Proven track record of successful fundraising and proposal writing
• Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships and network with donors, funding organizations and community groups
• Knowledge of human resources management
• Proven track record of effective staff management and mentoring
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Exceptional interpersonal and team-building skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/ voluntary organizations
• Knowledge of all federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations
• Strong computer skills (e-mail, spreadsheet, data base, word-processing) and familiarity with standard office communications equipment.
• Ability to work to tight timelines and manage multiple deadlines
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
How to Apply
• Please submit your resumé, cover letter and at least two references that are specific to these areas of work.
• Please email your application package by Friday, August 31 at 4:00 pm to Jody Watson, Chair: Jody_Watson@hotmail.com with the Subject: Executive Director Position.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Aug 8, 2012
Aug 31, 2012
Print this job
Apply for this job
Attach resume (*.doc, *.pdf, *.rtf only):
A confirmation email will be sent to your inbox as well.
Return to search results
WHO WE ARE
EP SUPPORT DOCUMENTS
POST A JOB
HR ASSESSMENT TOOL
Welcome to eco.ca. We are currently in BETA so if you experience any issues, please
let us know.