Our Alberta environmental labour demand outlook to 2030 presents the short-term job impacts of COVID-19 on the green economy and shows where new talent is needed throughout the remainder of this decade.
Canada, along with many nations across the globe, is calling for a more responsible and sustainable way towards economic growth. Our Alberta environmental labour demand outlook to 2030 intends to shed light on where environmental jobs and talent exist today and where new opportunities lie ahead for the remainder of this decade.
This report kicks off with a review of how this decade started and follows with our employment and hiring projections for Alberta overall and by industry, occupation, and environmental areas. This report closes with recommended workforce solutions, such as drawing from unemployed and underemployed workers, to meet hiring needs and bridge labour and skill shortages.
The data and insights from this report could help inform business, policy, program, and career decisions. It could help bust myths and reveal opportunities for industries, employers, government, communities, academia, and individuals. After all, environmental talent in every industry and discipline could lead the path for Alberta’s sustainable, prosperous, inclusive, and equitable future.
- Alberta was home to 96,100 environmental workers in 2020
- Another 28,100 new environmental jobs are projected by 2030 (29% of 2020 employment)
- Overall, 57,800 environmental job openings will need to be filled by 2030
- Environmental workers are found in every industry and job family in Alberta
- Top industries employing environmental workers in Alberta are Professional, scientific and technical services, Construction and Manufacturing
- Important environmental specializations include Water Quality, Sustainability and Air Quality
- Civil engineers, Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety, and Geoscientists and oceanographers are among the top occupations for environmental workers in Alberta
Download the Alberta labour market outlook to 2030 using the form on the right, to learn about the challenges and opportunities facing environmental workers in Alberta.
- Snapshot of Alberta’s 2020 Environmental Recruitment (2021)
- Alberta’s Environmental Recruitment Trends 2018-2020
- Updated Labour Market Outlook to 2025 (2021)