Alberta is the fourth largest region for environmental employment in Canada, with more than 96,000 professionals employed in environmental roles in 2020. Our outlook for the next ten years indicates that employers in the province will need to hire more than 28,000 workers for new environmental roles and another 30,000 to replace retiring environmental workers. This amounts to approximately 60% of 2020 environmental employment levels.
Key insights from our research into Alberta’s Environmental Recruitment Trends (mid-2021) include:
- The number of enviro ads in Alberta rose to 12,100 over this period; a 70% increase on the first half of 2020.
- The industries with the most environmental job ads in the first half of 2021 were Professional, scientific and technical services (4,870 environmental job ads), Construction (900) and Manufacturing (860).
- Overall, the job ads data indicates that the environmental job market in Alberta has rebounded from the dip in activity in 2020.
- Snapshot of Alberta’s 2020 Environmental Recruitment (2021)
- Alberta’s Environmental Recruitment Trends 2018-2020
- Updated Labour Market Outlook to 2025 (2021)
- Environmental Labour Market Supply (2020)
- Environmental Labour Market Demand (2020)